Your Renter Dies. Who Can Access the Safe Deposit Box Now?
Safe Deposit Box State and Federal Compliance Issues
Improve Your System:
Questions regarding deceased renters, payable-on-death clause, living trusts, court orders, Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, USA Patriot Act, Suspicious Activity Reports, power of attorneys, Americans with Disabilities Act, past due boxes, abandoned property and many other legal and compliance issues have caused great concern and confusion for the safe deposit industry.
At this workshop you will receive current information about all these issues and an in-depth explanation about how they impact on your financial institution and your safe deposit box renters. David McGuinn, a former Sr. Vice President/Cashier and nationally known expert in the area of safe deposit, will provide clear concise answers to complicated questions regarding your institution’s responsibility and potential liability. He will also identify and discuss various compliance issues relating to each legal topic.
What You Will Learn
Get answers to the following questions and establish internal procedures to comply with your own safe deposit requirements.
- Who can legally access and remove contents from a deceased renter’s box?
- Can you title a lease as a “living trust” or add a “payable of death” clause?
- Does the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) apply to past due boxes?
- What seven suspicious safe deposit transactions always trigger a SAR?
- How does the USA Patriot Act affect all safe deposit areas nationwide?
- What BSA & SAR violations are compliance examiners finding today?
- What should we do if dangerous contents are found in a past due box?
- When are box contents sent to the Unclaimed Property Department?
- In most states who must be present when a past due box is drilled?
- How can poor box drilling procedures make a box renter very rich?
- Do you have “Right of Offset” against a past due renter’s account?
- What past due fees can be collected from a delinquent box renter?
- Can you report a past due box renter to a credit-reporting agency?
- What careful wording should be used in a FINAL past due notice?
- What amount of safe deposit liability insurance should you carry?
- How does the American with Disabilities Act affect safe deposit?
- How should you answer a renter’s question about insurance?
- Should a power of attorney be used to enter a renter’s box?
- Can renters legally store money, guns or drugs in a box?
Safe deposit supervisors, vault attendants, cashiers, branch managers, compliance officers, auditors, training directors, new account personnel and your in-house legal counsel.
David P. McGuinn, President of Safe Deposit Specialists, is a former banker with 45 years of safe deposit experience and is often referred to nationwide as the safe deposit GURU. In all 50 states he has trained over 250,000 safe deposit personnel since 1969, and has served the industry as President of AIB and the American, Texas and Houston Safe Deposit Associations. Dave is a featured speaker for the American Bankers Association’s TV network and has been interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, Banking-New York, Washington Post, Money Magazine, New York Magazine, Associated Press, AARP, National Public Radio, FDIC, CUNA, CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC Nightly News and Court TV on current safe deposit issues. McGuinn has created numerous training programs and his Safe Deposit Policy and Procedures Handbook, Regulatory/Compliance manual, products, brochures and training seminars are now the accepted standard for the financial industry.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
- Live Webinar which includes 5 Day On-Demand - $265
- Six Month On-Demand – $295
- Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
- CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $325
- Premier (Includes all options) – $395
- Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.