Safe Deposit Boxes – The Pitfalls of Vault Security, Disasters and Self-Service Boxes
Safe Deposit Box Liability Presentation - 2015 Update
Safe deposit vault burglaries or disasters like 9-11, Super Storm Sandy, Hurricanes Ike, Katrina, Rita, Wilma and Andrew and damaging tornadoes, devastating fires, raging floods and many other nationwide disasters and burglaries have significantly impacted our safe deposit industry. Following these tragic events, numerous financial institutions have been confronted with some very difficult challenges, decisions and very large lawsuits.
Did you inherit the safe deposit area and then start wondering what liability might exist? Historically, this responsibility has been routinely passed from employee to employee with very little attention given to existing procedures or documentation. Unfortunately, only after a burglary, disaster or lawsuit occurs does management turn its attention to this area.
Whether you have 50 boxes or 5,000, this presentation provides a realistic and well-organized method of reviewing and auditing your procedures before a catastrophe occurs. Your speaker knows first hand what to look for; from the most common errors to the not so common, but potentially costly mistakes. This presentation will help you review your own internal procedures.
- Hurricane closes branch for 30 days. Why did renters lose over $1,000,000 in valuables?
- What happened to all the safe deposit boxes after fire totaled four branches recently?
- What 15 steps must be taken when a flood fills your vault with contaminated water?
- Why did 1,300 box renters file a multi-million dollar safe deposit lawsuit after a fire?
- Why are many flooded safe deposit box disasters caused by defective plumbing?
- How can proper vault door closing procedures help you avoid overnight guests?
- How can FDIC or NCUA signs, logos or brochures create safe deposit liability?
- What details about safe deposit loses have TV reporters covered recently?
- Why should renters be provided with “No Insurance” disclosure forms?
- What ten questions will always be asked in any safe deposit lawsuit?
- How should employees be trained to answer consumer’s questions?
- Why must phrases like “waterproof or fireproof” vault be avoided?
- Would your part-time attendant make a good courtroom witness?
- Why are self-service box renters now suing for millions?
This informative program will benefit safe deposit supervisors, vault attendants, compliance officers, auditors, security officers and your in-house legal counsel.
David P. McGuinn, President of Safe Deposit Specialists, is a former banker with 45 years of safe deposit experience and is often referred to nationwide as the safe deposit GURU. In all 50 states he has trained over 250,000 safe deposit personnel since 1969, and has served the industry as President of AIB and the American, Texas and Houston Safe Deposit Associations. Dave is a featured speaker for the American Bankers Association’s TV network and has been interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, Banking-New York, Washington Post, Money Magazine, New York Magazine, Associated Press, AARP, National Public Radio, FDIC, CUNA, CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC Nightly News and Court TV on current safe deposit issues. McGuinn has created numerous training programs and his Safe Deposit Policy and Procedures Handbook, Regulatory/Compliance manual, products, brochures and training seminars are now the accepted standard for the financial industry.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
Live Webinar which includes 7 Day On-Demand - $265
Six Month On-Demand – $295
Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $325
Premier (Includes all options) – $395
Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.