Prepaid Accounts – The New Rule
Prepaid Accounts are among the fastest growing consumer financial products in the U.S. and the CFPB responded to this product’s dramatic growth, and limited regulatory requirements, by issuing an almost 1,700 page final rule on October 5, 2016.
The rule primarily amended Regulation E with a minor modification to Regulation Z for accounts with an overdraft feature. This two-hour webinar will address all requirements of the new rule which primarily becomes effective on October 1, 2017.
The new regulatory requirements necessitate both short-form and long-form pre-acquisition disclosures with specific formatting requirements for both written and electronic disclosures. Prepaid accounts will generally be covered by the current Regulation E error resolution and liability requirements which will require banks to treat a notice of unauthorized transaction must like they treat current error notices related to debit cards. The new rule also provides banks with an alternative to the requirement to provide written, periodic statements.
Failure to comply with the new prepaid account rules will subject banks to potential violations of Regulation E and UDAP which may result in civil money penalties and enforcement actions from banking regulators. Participants receive a detailed manual that serves as a handbook long after the program is completed.
- Which bank products may be classified as a prepaid account based either on the marketing or labeling of the product
- Exemptions from the definition of prepaid account
- Content and timing requirements for the short form and long form pre-acquisition disclosure
- Changes to the current Regulation E disclosure provided to consumers
- CIP customer identification and verification requirements
- Error resolution, investigation and provisional credit timeframes and research requirements
- Internet, written and telephone account information required for varying time periods
- Liability thresholds that differ from current Regulation E customer liability
This program is designed for compliance officers and deposit operations or branch/retail administration personnel with responsibilities for deposit products covered by Regulation E.
Don Blaine is a Senior Training Consultant for Compliance Resource, LLC. Don has over 30 years of experience in regulatory compliance for the banking industry with banks ranging in size from community banks to money center banks. He provides training on Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering and deposit compliance. His prior roles have included: Chief Compliance Officer, Senior Compliance Regulatory Examiner, Compliance Audit Manager, and business unit compliance manager.
Don has taught at the ABA’s National Compliance School and has served as an instructor at programs offered by state banking associations. Prior to joining Compliance Resource, LLC, Don served as a consultant to numerous banks. He has attained Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM) and Certified Risk Professional (CRP) certifications.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
- Live Webinar which includes 5 Day On-Demand - $265
- Six Month On-Demand – $295
- Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
- CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $345
- Premier (Includes all options) – $395
- Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.