Navigating the Top Fifty (50) Most Important Safe Deposit Box Operating Procedures
Questions regarding the collection of past due box rent, drilling delinquent boxes, securing drilled and inventoried box contents, reporting abandoned property to our state authorities and many other legal and compliance issues have caused great concern.
At this workshop you will receive current information, step by step procedures and an in-depth explanation about how to handle these issues and how they impact on your financial institution and your safe deposit box renters.
David McGuinn, a nationally known expert in the area of safe deposit, will provide clear concise answers to complicated questions regarding your institution’s responsibility and potential liability. He will also identify and discuss various compliance issues and current lawsuits relating to these issues.
What You Will Learn
- Why did fifteen financial institutions get sued recently after drilling past due boxes?
- How does the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) apply to delinquent boxes?
- What would happen if all your unclaimed property was destroyed or disappeared?
- When are drilled box contents reported to your Unclaimed Property Department?
- Do you have any “Right of Offset” against a past due renter’s deposit account?
- What seven past due fees should be collected from all delinquent box renters?
- What does the Unclaimed Property Department do with these box contents?
- Have there been any lawsuits caused by incorrect box drilling procedures?
- If cash is found in a drilled box can it be converted and mailed in a check?
- How do you handle dangerous or illegal contents found in a drilled box?
- Can you sell these box contents and recover your collection expenses?
- Who must be present when a past due box is drilled in most states?
- Can you report a past due box renter to a credit-reporting agency?
- What careful wording should be used in a FINAL past due notice?
- What should we do if money, guns or drugs are found in a box?
- What is the required retention period for drilled box records?
- Can you legally restrict box access to a delinquent renter?
- Must these boxes be drilled before reporting to the state?
- What should you do if you drill the wrong past due box?
This informative program is designed to update security and compliance officers, vault supervisors and attendants, branch managers, auditors, training directors, new account personnel and your in-house legal counsel.
“This webinar was extremely informative. It held my attention from the moment it began I have been the head of the Safe Deposit Box Department of our institution for several years and learned many things that I did not know. This will be extremely helpful in my position. I can’t thank you enough.” -Kathleen G., Home Federal Savings and Loan Association
David P. McGuinn, President of Safe Deposit Specialists, is a former banker with 45 years of safe deposit experience and is often referred to nationwide as the safe deposit GURU. In all 50 states he has trained over 250,000 safe deposit personnel since 1969, and has served the industry as President of AIB and the American, Texas and Houston Safe Deposit Associations. Dave is a featured speaker for the American Bankers Association’s TV network and has been interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, Banking-New York, Washington Post, Money Magazine, New York Magazine, Associated Press, AARP, National Public Radio, FDIC, CUNA, CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC Nightly News and Court TV on current safe deposit issues. McGuinn has created numerous training programs and his Safe Deposit Policy and Procedures Handbook, Regulatory/Compliance manual, products, brochures and training seminars are now the accepted standard for the financial industry.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
Live Webinar which includes 7 Day On-Demand - $265
Six Month On-Demand – $295
Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $325
Premier (Includes all options) – $395
Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.