Exploring the IRA Universe – Part IV
IRAs: Auditing and Compliance - How to Audit your IRA Accounts
As we journey back towards earth, it’s time to check everything we – and those who came before us – have done to the IRA files. Increased IRS Penalties for Incorrect IRA Reporting to the IRS!!
The IRS is losing patience – especially with financial institutions who do not complete the IRA 1099-R and 5498 IRS forms correctly. The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) estimates over a million dollars in additional taxes could be collected on IRA distributions that have not been taken. When the IRS actually contacted IRA accountholders who were noncompliant in taking their RMDs in 2011-2012, they discovered almost 16% indicated the information on their 5498 from their IRA custodian/trustee was incorrect. Do you know what that means? The IRS is increasing penalties to the financial institutions if they file incorrect 1099-R and 5498 reporting. If you do not want your financial institution writing checks to the IRS for filing errors, this Webinar should be a “must attend”!!
This is part of a four-part webinar series on IRAs. To view or purchase the entire series, click here.
- IRA forms to be kept on record by the financial institution and the accountholder’s required disclosures and forms
- What are the IRA accountholder notices that must be sent out in a timely manner
- How to audit the IRA department as far as expertise, form use, procedures and work flow
- Line by line instructions on 5498 and 1099-R reporting – what’s required vs. what’s optional.
- How and when to correct IRS reporting to avoid increased IRS fines to the financial institution
- The most common errors hiding in your IRA customer files
- Forms and tools for auditing your IRA files
- 2018 IRA Cost of Living Adjustments
This is Part IV of the four-part IRA series and it is very important for those who answer examiners questions and have to do corrective IRS reporting attend – including IRA personnel in New Accounts, CDs, Trust, and Investments, and auditors who are involved with the operation, administration or internal auditing of IRA accounts will benefit greatly from the thorough discussions of the file and reporting requirements. The content is at the intermediate to advanced level with a minimum of two years’ experience recommended. It is assumed that participants have a working knowledge of IRAs.
You are encouraged to bring a sample of the IRA forms your financial institution is currently using for your review during the session including: IRA Distribution forms, Annuals Notices and any other forms you may have questions on – including a copy of the 1099-R and 5498 forms you are using.
“I highly recommend this webinar. The presenter was very knowledgeable and easy to understand, provided the information I needed, answered my questions and love the cheat sheets!” -Koni S., Rabobank
“Nice to hear from someone who actually has had hands-on experience with banking day-to-day operations and not just textbook-training.” -Kay I.
Patrice M. Konarik is president of Sunwest Training Corp. founded over 20 years ago and is located in the Texas Hill Country near San Antonio, Texas. With over 30 years’ experience in the financial industry, Patrice has focused her expertise on the retirement and new account areas and is currently providing live training and Webinars on these subjects on a nationwide basis. She has a BS in Management Science from New York’s Binghamton University. Many state banking associations and other organizations use her as their main source for training on these complicated topics.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
- Live Webinar which includes 5 Day On-Demand - $265
- Six Month On-Demand – $295
- CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $345
- Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
- Premier (Includes all options) – $395
- Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.