Excel Explained: Minimize Spreadsheet Errors
Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA, shares a variety of tricks and techniques you can use to improve the integrity of your Excel spreadsheets during this live presentation. You’ll also discover methods for auditing the spreadsheets created by others.
David covers several Excel features, including hiding and protecting formulas, the Conditional Formatting feature, the Table feature, the Data Validation feature, and the Custom Views feature.
In addition, he explains how to:
- Perform dual lookups.
- Sum disparate sections of a spreadsheet.
- Toggle the Locked status of a worksheet cell.
- Preserve key formulas.
- Color-code your data, identify duplicates, and apply icons . . . and more.
David typically demonstrates techniques from the version of Excel used by the majority of attendees. This means he uses Excel 2010, 2013, or 2016 to demonstrate techniques, but his detailed handouts identify differences in Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 when needed.
His webcasts are fast-paced, and attendees often are surprised at the amount of ground he covers in a session. He welcomes participants’ questions, so come ready to pick his brain. David’s detailed handouts, with numbered steps, serve as reference material you can utilize going forward. He also provides an Excel workbook that includes most of the examples he uses during the webcast.
What You Will Learn
- Get a jump start on spreadsheet projects by using free, prebuilt templates in Excel.
- Learn a simple design technique that greatly improves the integrity of Excel’s SUM function.
- Quickly sum disparate sections of a spreadsheet with the SUBTOTAL function.
- Improve the integrity of spreadsheets with Excel’s VLOOKUP function.
- Future-proof VLOOKUP by using Excel’s Table feature versus referencing static ranges.
- Perform dual lookups, which allow you to look across columns and down rows to cross-reference the data you need.
- Use the SUMIF function to summarize data based on a single criterion.
- Use Excel’s OFFSET function to dynamically reference data from one or more accounting periods.
- Compare the IFNA, IFERROR, and ISERROR functions and learn which versions of Excel support these worksheet functions.
- Preserve key formulas using hide and protect features.
- Toggle the Locked status of a worksheet cell on or off by way of a custom shortcut.
- Use Conditional Formatting to identify unlocked cells into which data can be entered.
- Use Conditional Formatting to color-code your data, identify duplicates, and apply icons.
- Discover techniques that automatically provide fallback positions in the event you need to see an earlier version of your spreadsheet.
- Apply techniques and features that will improve the integrity of your Excel spreadsheets.
- Define how to preserve key formulas using hide and protect features
- Identify how to use the SUMIF function to summarize data based on a single criterion.
Practitioners who may benefit from improving the integrity of their Excel spreadsheets and boost their efficiency while doing so.
David H. Ringstrom, CPA, is an author and nationally recognized instructor who teaches scores of webinars each year. His Excel courses are based on over 25 years of consulting and teaching experience. David’s mantra is “Either you work Excel, or it works you,” so he focuses on what he sees users don’t, but should, know about Microsoft Excel. His goal is to empower you to use Excel more effectively. To learn more about David, you can view his LinkedIn profile and follow him on Facebook or Twitter (@excelwriter).
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
- Live Webinar which includes 5 Day On-Demand - $265
- Six Month On-Demand – $295
- Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
- CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $345
- Premier (Includes all options) – $395
- Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.