Excel Explained: Look-Up Formulas
Discover what can go awry with VLOOKUP, how to future-proof the function, and explore alternatives such as MATCH/INDEX, SUMIF, and SUMIFS.
Many users rely on VLOOKUP for basic look-up functionality in spreadsheets, but are often unaware of ways to improve the integrity of this venerable function. In this session Excel expert David H. Ringstrom, CPA introduces the VLOOKUP function, and then quickly goes beyond the basics.
- Improve the integrity of spreadsheets with Excel’s VLOOKUP function
- Don’t be caught off-guard by the new IFNA function available to Excel 2013 users
- Uncover the limitations of VLOOKUP, along with alternatives
- Discover how to use wildcards and multiple criteria within look-up formulas
- Perform dual lookups, where you look across columns and down rows to cross reference the data you need
- See why the MATCH and INDEX combination is often superior to VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP
- Master the versatile SUMIF function
- Use the SUMIFS to sum value based on multiple criteria
- Determine situations where VLOOKUP may return an error or omit desired data
- Improve the integrity of VLOOKUP by way of the MATCH function and/or Excel’s Table feature
- Utilize the SUMIFS function in Excel 2007 and later for multiple-criteria look-ups
Practitioners who rely on look-up functions within their spreadsheets.
David Ringstrom, CPA owns Accounting Advisors, Inc., an Atlanta-based spreadsheet and database consulting firm that he started in 1991. David has written freelance articles about spreadsheets since 1996, some of which have been published internationally. He teaches dozens of webinars on Excel each year, along with speaking at conferences. David coined the phrase “Either you work Excel, or it works you!” Accordingly his sessions are designed to help you turn the tide and become a much more effective spreadsheet user.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
Either Live or 6-Month On-Demand Webinar: $255
Both Live and 6-Month On-Demand Webinar: $355
Premier Package – Live session, OnDemand Weblink, and CD-ROM plus Hardcopy Handouts: $395
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.