Excel Explained: Internal Control
Learn how to implement internal control features in Excel spreadsheets.
Your presenter, David Ringstrom, CPA, will use a simple invoice to show ways to control actions in an Excel spreadsheet, as well as protect worksheets and workbooks from unauthorized changes.
He’ll provide a workbook containing most of the examples for attendees who wish to follow along.
David will demonstrate techniques in Excel versions used by most attendees, typically Excel 2010 or 2013. He’ll also point out differences in Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 that apply. Coverage of Excel for Mac and Excel 2003 will be limited to questions raised by attendees.
- Improve the integrity of spreadsheets with Excel’s VLOOKUP function
- Compare and contrast IFNA, IFERROR, and ISERROR, and see which versions of Excel support each of these worksheet functions
- Create an in-cell drop-down list using Excel’s Data Validation feature
- Restrict users to entering dates, whole numbers, and other values entering data that meet criteria you specify
- Use the Table feature to improve the integrity of your spreadsheets by creating formulas that flex automatically as you add or remove rows from supporting lists and schedules
- Make it harder for users to circumvent Excel’s Data Validation, and easily identify when they’ve attempted to do so
- Toggle the Locked status of a worksheet cell on or off using a custom shortcut
- Explore nuances of worksheet protection, including creating areas in a protected worksheet that users can override by entering a password while keeping the rest of the worksheet protected
Practitioners who develop spreadsheets for others to use, as well as anyone seeking to simplify data entry
David Ringstrom, CPA owns Accounting Advisors, Inc., an Atlanta-based spreadsheet and database consulting firm that he started in 1991. David has written freelance articles about spreadsheets since 1996, some of which have been published internationally. He teaches scores of webinars on Excel each year, along with speaking at conferences. David coined the phrase “Either you work Excel, or it works you!” Accordingly his sessions are designed to help you turn the tide and become a much more effective spreadsheet user.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
- Live Webinar which includes 7 Day On-Demand - $265
- Six Month On-Demand – $295
- Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
- CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $325
- Premier (Includes all options) – $395
- Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.