Do’s and Don’ts of Checks: How to Avoid Loss
Why is handling checks so hard?
Simple do’s and don’ts will help your financial institution avoid losing money and creating chaos in the back office.
Checks are contracts and should be handled like any other legal document. There are reasons why we don’t put business checks into personal accounts and why we don’t give less cash on business accounts. Learn safe ways to handle checks and help protect your financial institution and you from loss on these negotiable instruments.
What You Will Learn
- The simplest rule about checks that can save your financial institutions thousands of dollars
- Connections between checks and account agreements: If you haven’t signed the signature card you can’t get the money
- Postdated, stale dated, erasures, alterations and more lessons you need to learn
- Why your institution needs to know about the negligence rule and the bank statement rule
- Should you check endorsements and send them back as “missing”?
- What should you do with checks for deceased people?
- Treasury checks, postal money orders and other special checks
- Why you absolutely should not give cash back, or cash or deposit into personal accounts checks made payable to a business
Tellers, Head Tellers, Cashiers, Managers, Branch Operations, Officers who approve checks, and Deposit Representatives who work with checks and accounts.
Deborah Crawford is the President of gettechnical inc. She specializes in compliance and regulations for the deposit side of financial institutions. Her 20+ year career in banking and training began at Hibernia National Bank. She has been a seminar leader for many state associations and credit union groups across the nation. She has Bachelors and Masters degrees from Louisiana State University.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
- Live Webinar which includes 5 Day On-Demand - $265
- Six Month On-Demand – $295
- Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
- CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $325
- Premier (Includes all options) – $395
- Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.