Dealing with Subpoenas, Summonses, Garnishments, Tax Levies, Etc.
On a daily basis, a financial institution is faced with having to comply with a multitude of legal documents that are served on it.
These documents can order your financial institution to produce confidential customer information, hold depositor funds, and can even order it to seize property in its possession belonging to the customer.
If you find these documents confusing and intimidating, attend this multi-state seminar to learn the best practices of how to deal effectively with these documents and the parties who serve them upon you.
- Legal differences among subpoenas, summonses, levies, garnishments, writs of attachments and warrants.
- What your financial institution should know about the Right to Financial Privacy Act, the Financial Privacy Act, and similar laws and regulations.
- Verifying customer information when complying with subpoenas, garnishments and levies.
- Helpful resources to assist your financial institution when complying with these orders.
- Whether IRS tax levies will attach to special accounts, like individual retirement accounts, health savings accounts and escrow accounts.
- An overview of procedures for answering garnishments of federal benefit payments.
This session is a cost-effective way to learn the ins and outs of complying with the subpoenas, summonses, levies and garnishments that are served on your financial institution.
Terri D. Thomas is Senior VP and Legal Department Director for the Kansas Bankers Association. Prior to this, she was with “Bankers Choice,” a financial consulting firm. Before this, Terri was employed in the financial industry for over twenty-three years in various capacities. Most notably, she served for fourteen years as in-house legal counsel and trust officer for Bank of America and its Kansas predecessors. Receiving her Bachelor of Arts degree from Kansas State University in 1985, Terri continued her education at Washburn University School of Law and obtained her Juris Doctor in 1988.
Presently, she serves as an adjunct instructor at Washburn University School of Law and the University of Kansas School of Law and is a frequent seminar presenter for financial associations.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
- Live Webinar which includes 7 Day On-Demand - $265
- Six Month On-Demand – $295
- Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
- CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $325
- Premier (Includes all options) – $395
- Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.