Dealing with Subpoenas, Summonses, Garnishments, Tax Levies, Etc.
On a daily basis a financial institution is faced with having to comply with a multitude of legal documents that are served on it.
These documents can order the financial institution to produce confidential customer information, hold depositor funds, and can even order them to seize property in its possession belonging to the customer.
If you find these documents to be confusing and intimidating, then make sure to attend this seminar. By attending this multi-state seminar, you will learn the best practices of how to effectively deal with these documents and the parties who serve them upon you.
- The legal differences between subpoenas, summonses, levies, garnishments, writs of attachments and warrants.
- What a financial institution should know about the Right to Financial Privacy Act, the Financial Privacy Act and similar laws and regulations.
- Verifying customer information when complying with subpoenas, garnishments and levies.
- Helpful resources that can assist the financial institution when complying with these orders.
- Whether IRS tax levies will attach to special accounts, like individual retirement accounts, health savings accounts and escrow accounts.
- An overview of the procedures for answering garnishments of federal benefit payments.
This session is a cost-effective way to learn the ins and outs of complying with the subpoenas, summonses, levies and garnishments that are served on your financial institution.
Terri D. Thomas is Senior VP and Legal Department Director for the Kansas Bankers Association. Prior to this, she was with “Bankers Choice,” a financial consulting firm. Before this, Terri was employed in the financial industry for over twenty-three years in various capacities. Most notably, she served for fourteen years as in-house legal counsel and trust officer for Bank of America and its Kansas predecessors. Receiving her Bachelor of Arts degree from Kansas State University in 1985, Terri continued her education at Washburn University School of Law and obtained her Juris Doctor in 1988.
Presently, she serves as an adjunct instructor at Washburn University School of Law and the University of Kansas School of Law and is a frequent seminar presenter for financial associations.
Institute of Certified Bankers: Visit http://www.icbmembers.org/login.aspx for instructions regarding self-reporting. Estimated credits: 2.5 CE Credits
Live Webinar which includes 7 Day On-Demand - $265
Six Month On-Demand – $295
Live plus Six Month On-Demand – $365
CD-ROM (Includes Six Month On-Demand) – $325
Premier (Includes all options) – $395
Additional Locations – $75
Online: Click here.
Phone: Call Total Training Solutions at (800) 831-0678
Register online up to day of event. Earlier registration allows time to check your computer for an optimal experience.