The Commercial Real Estate Lending Decision Process
Description: The Commercial Real Estate Lending Decision Process provides a comprehensive study of commercial real estate (CRE) lending, beginning with a description of CRE loan types and progressing to an understanding of the underwriting process, leases, appraisals, loan structures and related risks. The Series also include resources to help the student apply the concepts learned in each course. These resources include job aids reproducible work sheets for cash flow, compliance and important financial ratio calculations.
The six parts of The Commercial Real Estate Lending Decision Process will provide students with a foundation in CRE through the use of an innovative virtual bank. Each section is presented in an interactive format to include exercises to check for knowledge throughout the courses. Each course within the complete program includes case studies that are used to insure depth and understanding of the concepts presented throughout the program series.
The Commercial Real Estate Lending Decision Process and the courses in the curriculum are products of The Risk Management Association.
Duration: There are 14 courses included in the complete Commercial Real Estate Lending Decision Process Series. Approximate time to complete all courses and modules in the curriculum is between 18 to 25 hours.
Audience: The Commercial Real Estate Lending Decision Process is designed for commercial lenders and credit analysts who are not real estate specialists but who need to know more about assessing real estate risk.
Learning Objectives: After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Learn about different types of commercial real estate loans.
- Identify a company’s net operating income or cash flow.
- Analyze the project and proposed loan.
- Identify and define important credit risk considerations for major property groups and specialty properties.
- Recognize and use lease terminology.
- Recognize the cash flow and economic consideration of leases.
- Demonstrate how to review leases on commercial properties.
- Assess various borrowing structures.
- Identify issues involving owner occupied lending.
- Identify the key types of construction projects and loans.
- Explore underwriting and administrator issues with construction projects and loans.
The courses included in The Commercial Real Estate Lending Decision Process Curriculum are:
- Series 1: Types of CRE Loans, Risk Areas and Performance Drivers
- Series 2: The CRE Underwriting Process
- Series 3: Financing Different Types of Commercial Properties
- Series 4: Understanding and Evaluating Leases, Appraisals and Environmental Assessments
- Series 5: Loan Structure and Documentation Considerations
- Series 6: Construction Lending