Fixed-Income Investing for Community Banks: Separating Fact
This program provides practical applications for improving net interest income and
risk management techniques and learning more about securities.
Managing and guiding your bank through an extended low rate environment takes knowledge, skill and agility. Our economy has been stuck in a low rate environment since 2008, and the Fed indicates more low rates are ahead, while others still are predicting rising rates.
This program provides you and your staff with valuable and practical applications for improving net interest income, improving risk management techniques and learning more about securities, which are becoming a larger portion of earning assets but most importantly preparing for a variety of economic outcomes.
- Understand the calculations of price and yield and how they affect decision making
- Identify the pitfalls of investing in a low rate environment
- Survey practices in conducting ALM in the current interest rate environment
- Become familiar with risks and rewards of many common investment strategies
- Understand the role that structure plays in different rate environments, as it pertains to current and potential future banking regulations
- Develop a deeper understanding of mortgage-backed security (MBS) analysis
- Formulate a plan for credit due diligence in municipal securities
CEO’s, CFO’s, directors, portfolio managers, ALCO members, and anyone else involved in the bank investment decision making.
S. Blake Scharlach currently serves as Vice President for TIB Capital Markets. Prior to his tenure at TIB, he worked as a lender and investment portfolio manager for a community bank. Blake’s responsibilities at TIB include advising banks on investment strategies, portfolio management, purchases and sales of fixed income securities, and asset/liability management. He has authored numerous articles for trade newsletters and magazines, and has served as a capital markets speaker for state banking associations across the country.
2.0 total credits
Member price: $250.00 | Non member price $500.00